Monday 5 May 2014

Atomic Day Out










Yesterday Sam and I spent the day at a new event: The Atomic Vintage Festival at Sywell Aerodrome in Northamptonshire.  It was such a good day, full of sunshine, great music, dancing, tasty food and colourful mid-century aesthetics.

My fascination with this era began when I first encountered some of my Grandma's treasures as a child.  My Grandma Winnie had been a dressmaker and a big collector, I can remember her living room full of old display cabinets full of kitsch ornaments, lots of colour.

The day began yesterday with a vintage carboot sale in the big top.  Lots of exciting stuff on offer, I however was on a strict budget so detoured a table full of lucite handbags and Bakelite and came out with a lovely blouse covered in a sea shell novelty print pattern for a mere £3.  Not bad, and for me a very restrained carboot visit!

We saw two sessions of drag racing, including a number of hot rods and stock cars: lots of noise, smoke and amazing paint jobs- great! Another highlight was a visit to the Demon Drome Wall of Death, as Sam put it 'a total adrenaline rush'. I've never seen anything like it, the wonders of centrifugal force...  I'm not quite sure who screamed more, me or the six year old girl I stood next to ha! We both decided it was pretty scary but brilliant!  The vintage clothing and homewares tents were great to wander around, lots of great patterned dresses, I could have spent the whole day in there...
 
Other elements of our day included, for me an amazing halloumi and homemade felafell wrap and for Sam a beef taco from a Mexican food vendor.  (Who also had some amazing tequilas for sale, we tried a Herradura Anejo tequila that came in a bottle with a great horse shoe graphic logo.)  We danced to several DJ sets by Mark Lamarr and rounded off the night with a firework and light show from O'Briens Flying Circus and a live set from one of my favourite band The Domestic Bumblebees.  They finished with a cover of 'Rocker' by AC/DC, wow, really made my day!!

I've come away with lots of inspiration for new drawings and designs, couldn't ask for much more!


3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day out. Living all your photos, especially the pink poodle! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Would you look at those cars, I'd love to find on like the front one in the first image for our wedding.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete